Thursday, April 17, 2014

Falkland

Feeling so inspired from our previous week's adventure to Culross, I did a little research and found another former royal burgh and medieval town, Falkland, also located in Fife. We packed our picnic basket and jumped in the car for our weekend adventure.

Falkland Palace Gatehouse

Falkland Palace is the centerpiece of the small town. As you drive through town, the gatehouse house greets you, built during the reign of James V and restored in the early 20th century. The Palace is built on the grounds of the original early medieval castle, with many subsequent additions being built on to the south side of the Palace over a 200 year period.

I would have loved to go in to the Palace and explore, but as dogs are not allowed, we just decided to save it for another day. The Palace is home to a large garden and the oldest tennis court in Britain, built in the 1530s, among many other historical rooms in this medieval royal residence.

Parish Church

We decided to walk through town just to explore the old buildings. I dream of one day buying an old derelict, listed building and doing it up in a historically accurate style. I'm obsessed with the TV program, Restoration Man, so whenever I see an old place that I like, I think about what I can do to fix it up. Right now, since we can't afford to do that :( I'll just stick to taking pictures of buildings I like for future inspiration.

Mercat Cross



One element of Falkland that I fell in love with was the marriage lintels dotted around town. These lintels, located above a number of doors and windows, mark the year of marriage and the initials of the buildings first owners. It's quite romantic to think of these carved stones lasting in their original homes for several centuries. The earliest one we were able to find was dated 1610.






It didn't take long to walk around town, there were a few cute cafes and antique shops, but we eventually found a short walking trail for the dog to enjoy. Falkland was a beautiful little town and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice day out in Fife.










Dog-friendly- the Palace does not welcome dogs, but there was a very lovely little walk along the river that Violet enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this new blog. I makes me appreciate what a wonderful world we live in and how beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete